Tips to avoid contraceptive mishaps
Contraceptive accidents can happen to anyone. Here are some tips to help you avoid them happening:
- Be prepared. Carry condoms or keep your sponge, diaphragm or cap with you
- Don’t use oil based lubricants with latex condoms, as they can weaken them so they split
- Be careful when taking condoms out of the packet, especially around nails and jewellery
- Store condoms correctly so they don’t get too hot or damaged
- Ensure condoms are not past their use by date
- Use pill manufacturers’ apps, or use the reminder or calendar function on your mobile telephone, to set up daily alerts to remind you to take your contraceptive pill.
- Ensure you follow the correct guidance if you miss a contraceptive pill. See your pill pack leaflet.
- Sign up to telephone or SMS alerts provided free by some contraceptive manufacturers
- Set up a mobile reminder to take out and reinsert your vaginal ring
- Set up a weekly mobile reminder to change your contraceptive patch
- Set up a mobile reminder to have your next contraceptive injection
- Don’t assume you will remember. Don’t take a chance.