How to take ellaOne®
ellaOne® is easy to take – it is one single tablet.
You can take ellaOne® with some water as soon as possible and no later than 120 hours (5 days) after you have had unprotected sex.
It’s fine to take it before, during or after a meal.
What to tell your pharmacist
Below is a list of medicines and health conditions you should tell your pharmacist about when discussing ellaOne®:
- Liver disease. ellaOne® is not recommended for women with severe liver disease
- Taking oral glucocorticoids for severe asthma
- Certain medicines used to treat epilepsy (phenytoin, fosphenytoine, phenobarbital, primidone, carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine)
- Certain medicines used to treat HIV infection (ritonavir, efavirenz, nevirapine)
- Certain medicines used to treat bacterial infections (for example rifampicin, rifabutin)
- Herbal remedies containing St John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) used for depression or anxiety
- ellaOne® should not be used together with emergency contraceptives containing levonorgestrel
Regular contraception vs ellaOne®– the difference
ellaOne® is Europe’s most effective morning after pill.
NOT a regular contraceptive method
You should not use ellaOne® as a regular method of contraception. The emergency contraceptive pill is a backup method for preventing pregnancy and should only be used occasionally.
NOT a contraceptive for future intercourse
If you have unprotected sex again after taking ellaOne®, it will not stop you from becoming pregnant . You should use a barrier method, such as condoms, every time you have sex until your next period. If you are currently taking the contraceptive pill, continue to use it as usual, starting the day after taking ellaOne®. Be sure to also use condoms every time you have sex until your next period.
NOT used to cause abortion
ellaOne® works by delaying egg release. If you are pregnant it is too late for emergency contraception because it works to prevent the start of a pregnancy. So, you should not take ellaOne® if you are already pregnant.
ellaOne® does not affect your fertility
If you want to have sex after using ellaOne®, use a barrier method of contraception until your next period. This is because your fertility can come back very quickly.
ellaOne® is Europe’s most effective morning after pill. It works by delaying the release of an egg from the ovary. Here’s how: